With a rich history dating back 3,000 years Ethiopia has the most extensive collection of historic sites south of the Sahara with perhaps as little as 90% of the total yet to be discovered. A mountainous nation with a diverse population exceeding 77 million people, and a land mass as large as France and Spain combined, Ethiopia offers the adventurous traveller a real contrast of experiences.
From the Abyssinian highlands to the deserts of the Afar and the volcanic Danakil Depression – the deepest and hottest place on earth; from the soda lakes of Africa’s Great Rift Valley to the source of the Blue Nile; from tropical rain forests and high moorlands to savannah, the geography of Ethiopia is outstanding in comparison to many African nations. With this natural diversity an Ethiopian holiday offers adventure and discovery at every corner.
It is perhaps Ethiopia’s Historical Route that provides the main appeal for travellers to this beautiful land. Known for its ancient churches including several rock-hewn World Heritage-listed monuments at Lalibela, ancient temples, palaces and castles at Gondar, tombs of previous Kings and Queens, religious manuscripts and a plethora of archaeological finds, this famous route in northern Ethiopia is simply unrivalled in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Tour Ethiopia’s Historic Route and discover ancient Axum, Lalibela, Gondar, Bahar Dar and the source of the Blue Nile.
- Trek into one of the world’s unique mountain environments – the Simien Mountains – and summit Ras Dashen, Ethiopia’s highest point.
- Join an expedition to the south of Ethiopia to the Omo Valley and encounter remarkable nomadic tribes.
- Turn up the heat in the Danakil Depression and witness an extraordinary volcanic landscape.
- Spend a few days bird spotting around Ethiopia’s Rift Valley lakes and discover an impressive array of endemic species.