Mahebourg Naval Museum
The museum consists of houses in a dilapidated colonial residence built in 1771. It was turned into a hospital and in 1810 both the French and British commanders found themselves being treated alongside each other here, where they shook hands symbolizing the beginning of an ‘entente cordiale’ agreement. The house was turned into a museum in 1950, and now exhibits wreckage of sailing ships that took part in the Grand Port battle, maps, bells, newspaper cuttings and items belonging to the crews. There is also a display of coins, curios and wooden sedan-type chairs used by slaves to carry their masters.