Rault Biscuit Factory
The factory was founded by Jean Fabien Rault who originally produced the famous manioc biscuits, the first commercially manufactured biscuits sold in 1870. During World War One the factory was at its busiest employing up to 100 people, when ships found it almost impossible to visit the island with supplies the islanders had to survive on the biscuits. The factory was destroyed in 1960 by cyclone “Carol”, and again suffered in the early 1970s when cyclone “Gervaise” destroyed most of the manioc plantations. Today the 4th generation of the Rault family still run the business. The biscuits are made without any preservatives, colouring or sweeteners. After touring the factory there is a chance to sample the biscuits – together with a nice cup of tea.