Built by Sultan Moulay El Hassan in 1873 and completed in 1897, the Hispano-Moorish palace of Dar El-Batha is surrounded by Andalusian gardens. It looks onto Fès el Bali and Fès el Jedid, reflecting the will of this pacifistic sultan to bring together the two towns.
The square-shaped palace is structured around a central patio and its fountain, in the shade of cypress trees. Its painted roofs are particularly attractive and its wooden doors are remarkable. In 1915, the palace was transformed into a Moroccan arts museum. It provides an excellent idea of the artistic wealth of the era. A magical place, it is the ideal place to rest before heading for the medina.