Al Mahidya

Near Rabat, the destiny of Al Mahdiya reflects the ups and downs of a village built in an ideal position to defend the mouth of a wadi, in this case, the Sebou. After the installation of an arsenal in the twelfth century by the Almohads, this port prospered through European and Moroccan trade. For a time a Portuguese citadel, then a “Barbary” port then a Spanish enclave in the sixteenth century, the town finally became “Mahdiya” in 1681, and then slowly declined. Several monuments testify to the past splendour including the monumental gate to the town, the seigneurial house of the Caîd ar-Rifi and a private Hispano-Moorish hammam, echoing another world.

Translator

Africa Travel Information