Dar El Makhzen
Dar El Makhzen, the governor’s house is at the heart of the Kasbah. It was built in the 17th century, when Moulay Ismail ordered its construction. The palace has been extended several times, and is richly decorated. It remained a seat of power until 1912. At the heart of the building, a large green-tiled patio surrounded with columns opens onto seven elegantly proportioned rooms.
All are magnificently decorated with Koranic calligraphy and floral designs. An Andalusian garden of a thousand scents is hidden behind the palace. Lemon trees abound, as do orange and palm trees. And when nighttime falls, the air is loaded with the heavy perfumes of daturas and jacarandas.