Offshore from mainland Tabarka, at a distance of about 365 yards, is the small island of Tabarka, where the Genoese Lomellini, who had purchased the grant of the coral fishing from the Ottoman Turks, maintained a garrison from 1540 to 1742.
Here may still be seen the ruins of a stronghold, a church and some Genoese buildings. At Tabarka the ruins consist of a pit once used as a church and some fragments of walls which belonged to Christian buildings. There were also two Ottoman Turkish fortresses, one of which has been repaired. Since 1542 the island of Tabarca was granted to the Lomellini family of Genoa.