Travel to Keetmanshoop – Quaint historical town
Keetmanshoop makes a good base to visit the nearby attractions of the Giant’s Playground, Quiver Tree Forest and Brukarros Mountains.
This town started as a settlement of the Velskoendraer-Nama (correct English translation: wearers of fur-shoes), where the Rhenish Mission Society established a mission station in 1866. The place was named after a German merchant, Johann Keetman, who generously supported the mission station financially. ‘Keetmanshoop’ is Afrikaans for Keetman’s hope. The town is the administrative centre of a vast arid region which is used mainly for farming – mostly karakul sheep, and also ostrich.
Downtown, some buildings from colonial times have been preserved: the railway station, built in 1907/08 and still in use; the Imperial Post Office from 1910, which now houses a visitor information centre; and the old church of the Rhenish Mission Society. The church was renovated and proclaimed a national monument in 1978. Today it is a museum with exhibits of photos and objects from around the previous turn of the century; agricultural equipment and the model of a Nama hut are also on show.
Visit the nearby attractions of the Giants Playground, Quiver Tree Forest and, slightly further afield, Brukarros Mountains.
The town has some comfortable hotels
Long distance buses, combi taxis and the train all pass through the town.