Travel to Gambia – The Smiling Coast of Africa
As the smallest country in West Africa, the Gambia is also one of the most accessible countries of sub-Saharan Africa – little over 6 hours flying time from Europe.
With a tropical climate and abundant sunshine, sparkling seas and long palm-fringed beaches, the Gambia has developed into a popular holiday destination for those in search of sun, sea and sand.
There is plenty on offer for the seasoned traveller too: A peaceful multi-ethnic culture, some well-preserved historical sites, vibrant music and dance, a colouful array of more than 500 species of birds, and of course the River Gambia – a haven for nature lovers and those in search of a Gambia adventure holiday, discovery and experience.
The Gambia is also blessed with a wide choice of accommodation covering all tastes and budgets, a diverse cuisine and for those who seek more of an active Gambia holiday – river cruising, fishing, village tours, African wrestling, trekking, horse and camel riding, cycling and Gambian adventure trips are also available.
- Explore one of the great rivers of West Africa on a Gambia River cruise.
- Get close to nature and walk through the jungle of Abuko Nature Reserve.
- The Gambia is a dreamland for birds with over 500 species in six protected areas.
- Head ‘upriver’ and discover the old colonial town of Janjangbureh (formerly Georgetown).
- Make a visit to the Wassu Stone Circles – an ancient megalithic burial ground.
- Relax and unwind at a luxurious Atlantic beach hotel – swimming, tennis, windsurfing, massages, horse riding and golf are all available.