James Island can be found in the middle of the Gambia river close to the villages of Jufureh and Albreda. The island is home to the ruins of Fort St James originally built in the 1650s and the site of numerous battles in the following years resulting in being ‘owned’ by British, Dutch, French as well as a couple of pirates!
The fort was used in the slave trade by British traders until slaving was abolished in 1829. Today all that remains are the old walls and cannon together with a large grove of baobab trees.
The Island is usually included on a boat excursion that includes Jufureh and Albreda.