Fort St. Jago
Fort St. Jago was built on top of a hill by the Dutch in 1666 to protect Elmina Castle. In 1637 the fort was taken over by the Dutch, who made it the capital of Dutch Guinea.
During the period of Dutch control, the castle was also known as Fort Conraadsburg. The Dutch continued the triangular Atlantic slave route until 1872 when the castle was seized by the British.
Previously operating as a guesthouse, the fort was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992. Now renovated and opened as a museum it is a great location to watch sunrise from the tower.